Posted to alt.food.wine,rec.crafts.winemaking,rec.food.drink

Default 'Natural wine' ?

Adam Funk wrote:

> What's "new oak" and what's considered undesirable about it? (I'm
> guessing that it refers to aging in unused barrels --- but what were
> the used ones used for?)

New oak barrels are exactly that: oak barrels which haven't yet been
used to make wine. New oak barrels, especially high toast ones or ones
made from American oak, are notorious for imparting very strong flavors
to the wine that have nothing to do with the grapes themselves. Many
people like those flavors; others do not. If you drink enough wine, you
might conclude (like I have) that new oak is like makeup: used with
restraint and a sense of artistry, it can enhance, but used clumsily it
can be grotesque. YMMV, of course.

Quercophobically yours,
Mark Lipton