zxcvbob

Default Making jelly from roselle

Bob Gillespie wrote:
> My wife and I are just getting into edible landscaping and we are
> reading a several books on the subject. ONe of the books I'm reading
> discussed a roselle and how it might be made into jelly, jams, etc. and
> that it taste like a cranberry without the bitterness. When we bought
> it last year, we thought it was called a false roselle but it appears as
> the picture in the book. We live in north Florida and I replanted the
> seed and have one very beautiful flower. After each flower fades, a
> container forms about an inch long along the stem which is a deep red.
> It is filled with seed. I plan to harvest some of the seeds and replant
> next year. Long story but leading to how might we try to make jelly
> from the plant or anything elso that might be useful. The beauty makes
> it very useful but I would like to add edible. Can anyone help?

I had never heard of it until now; I found a link that might be
helpful: http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/roselle.html

I bought a bag of what I *thought* was dried hibiscus flowers at Fiesta
Market, and it turns out that it is roselle. There's a picture in the
article that shows a bag just like what I bought. The bag may have a
few seeds in it.

Best regards,
Bob