Posted to rec.food.cooking
Emma Thackery Emma Thackery is offline

Default House Committee to Investigate Melamine-In-Food Fiasco

In article >,
Doug McDonald > wrote:

> wff_ng_7 wrote:
>
> > For all those who claim this is just a "chicken little" reaction to
> > the issue, perhaps you should read the very good book "Silent
> > Spring" and look into how the author Rachel Carson was branded as
> > an alarmist at the time. It might seem like ancient history to some
> > (being over 40 years ago), but her concerns turned out to be quite
> > prophetic.

> Well, sort of.
>
> Rachel Carson is the one single person responsible for the largest
> number of deaths of children in the history of mankind.

Hogwash. I wonder what interest it serves to make up a whopper like
that. Not difficult to guess, really.

Carson did not advocate stopping the use of DDT for malaria; she
recommended using it with more discretion. The use of DDT declined
because: governments lacked money, other pesticides were developed and
used, insects became resistant to it, it was transmitted through
mother's milk to nursing infants, indiscriminate and improper usage, and
because of a host of harmful effects to healthy humans and other animals.