Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Pancake Recipe

> On May 2, 9:37 am, CND > wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I'm new in the group and I have some questions that perhaps someone
>> can answer. I found a pancake recipe that resembles the taste of my
>> favorite US commercial pancake mix: "Pillsbury's Hungry Jack". I
>> don't remember exactly where I got it from, but this is it:
>>
>> 2 cups of flour
>> 5 tsps of baking powder
>> 4 tbsps Sugan
>> 1 tsp salt
>> 2 cups of milk
>> 1/2 cup of oil
>> 2 eggs
>>
>> The recipe asks to mix the first four ingredients in a bag and then
>> put that mix into a bowl and add the rest of the liquid ingredients
>> folding them into a lumpy batter. The recipe also suggests putting the
>> mix in the refrigerator for five minutes before actually start making
>> the pancakes.
>>
>> By doing this, I consistently get flat pancakes. I've tried
>> everything: sifting the flour, using half whole wheat flower and half
>> all-purpose flower, whisking the egg-whites to a fluff after
>> separating them from the egg yolks, adding more baking powder, adding
>> baking soda (didn't care for the metallic after taste).
>>
>> What does the 1/2 cup of oil has with this recipe?
>>
>> Here in Spain, it costs almost 6 Euros (around $7.80) to get a
>> commercial pancake mix. The one on sale here is of the "only-add-
>> water" type which I always have disliked.
>>
>> I don't put anything on my pancakes except butter and real maple syrup
>> (expensive also) because I like the taste of the mix and don't want to
>> hide with other toppings or flavorings.
>>
>> Thanks for any advice,
>>
>> César,
>> Denia, Spain

I never saw the original message. Your recipe has *too much* baking
powder. Reduce it to about 2 tsp. It will also help if you use soured
milk and add 1/2 tsp of baking soda.

Whole wheat flour will make them heavier; you don't want that. Once you
get the recipe worked out, you can add a little toasted wheat germ to
make them interesting.

Hope this helps,
Bob