zxcvbob

Default Crab apple pickles?

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >, zxcvbob
> > wrote:
>

>>I mentioned the tiny pears I picked last week. It's time to do some
>>thing
>>with them. I have 5 pounds of 'em.
>>
>>I see a recipe for crab apple pickles in the BBB. Are they any good, and
>>what are they good for?

> Well, I can see you've never been to a 1950s-type supper club where the
> relish plate that was presented on arrival at your table held pickled
> crabapples, dill pickles, and black and green olives. That tell you
> anything?

Yeah, that I'm not old enough to appreciate pickled crabapples.
I just juiced 'em all with the steam juicer (it took 3 hours, and they
still didn't collapse into mush.)

The batch of jelly I made without pectin would have been really good except
I added too much acid (a heaping teaspoon of acid blend; a half teaspoon
woulda been right) I kept one jar, but I dumped the other 3 into the next
batch I made with pectin. The combined jelly tastes really good, but it's
really cloudy and has a slightly grainy texture -- I used no-sugar pectin
for the first time, with 4 cups of juice and 3 cups of sugar. Apparently
no-sugar pectin is only good for making jam.

So I ended up with 1 jar that looks beautiful but it's too tart, and a
bunch of jars that taste good and look bad.

Best regards,
Bob