Anny Middon

Default Crab apple pickles?

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message

> I see a recipe for crab apple pickles in the BBB. Are they any good, and
> what are they good for?
>
> I also am thinking about steam-juicing them, with a handful of cranberries
> for color, and making jelly.
>
> I think 5 pounds is enough to try both, but I don't wanna make the pickles
> if they are only good for sitting on the shelf looking pretty (and these
> won't be as pretty as crabapples because they are tan instead of red)

I've never made the crab apple pickles, but they sound good to me. I have
had spiced crab apples from the grocers, which should be fairly similar.
They are a nice accompaniment to roasted meats and make a superb garnish for
the meat platter.

Two suggestions for the pear pickles if you want them prettier -- You could
try substituting some cinnamon red hots for the cinnamon sticks, which
should make your pickles a pretty color. Or if you want the pickles to be
more natural, you could include some cranberries in the spice bag. I'd
think the cranberries would put a nice blush on the pears.

It's too bad our neighbors lost their crab apple tree -- I'd love to give
the pickles a try!

Anny