Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Pope Steve Pope is offline

Default House Committee to Investigate Melamine-In-Food Fiasco

In article <Gp3%h.91$LJ3.57@trnddc02>, wff_ng_7 > wrote:

> As to eating plenty of foods that aren't suspect, that can
> be a lot harder than you suggest. Wild caught fish are not so
> easy to come by in many areas, and is quite expensive.

Canned salmon and canned tuna is all wild-caught, if that is
what is available/affordable.

> People might be eating chicken or pork to avoid red meats. And
> maybe beans aren't such a good idea for other health reasons. I
> was recently diagnosed with gout and some lists put beans in
> the foods to avoid. The issues are really far too complex for
> it to be a "no-brainer" for most people.

It obviously becomes more complex for those with dietary restrictions,
but I think for most people it's still pretty straightforward --
except for when you're forced to eat out. But even in such cases,
a person could readily reduce the amount of suspect items consumed.

I think the biggest barrier is psychological -- the overriding
assumption that all foods on offer in the U.S. are safe is the
main barrier. It's hard to break from habit and preconceived
notions, even when your intellect tells you they are wrong.

Steve