Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Sonoran Dude Sonoran Dude is offline

Default The taco stand inspired McDonalds

dtwright37 wrote:
> On May 4, 2:33 am, Sonoran Dude > wrote:
>
>> Whataburger is an icon here in Arizona. Back in the day they out
>> numbered McDonalds.

> I must be older than back-in-the-day (not a surprise!) because I don't
> remember Whataburger from when I was a student in Tucson in the early
> '60s.
>
> The only chains I remember from then were Bob's Big Boy and McD, and
> at McD I could get two meager burgers, an order of fries, and a drink,
> and still get back a little change from a dollar.
>
> I also spent my few eat-out dollars at a chimichanga lunch-joint near
> the campus, and a Chinese place that had an 87-cent "business man's
> lunch." :-)
>
> David

I wouldn't know about Tucson, I grew up in Phoenix. We had one Bob's on
Central and Thomas and a McDonalds down the street on Central and Indian
School. Whataburgers were in the burbs. My coherent memory only goes
back to 67. I had a brain infection that keeps me from remembering much
before that.