Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Gunner[_4_] Gunner[_4_] is offline

Default The taco stand inspired McDonalds

"dtwright37" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On May 4, 2:33 am, Sonoran Dude > wrote:
>
>> Whataburger is an icon here in Arizona. Back in the day they out
>> numbered McDonalds.

> I must be older than back-in-the-day (not a surprise!) because I don't
> remember Whataburger from when I was a student in Tucson in the early
> '60s.
>
> The only chains I remember from then were Bob's Big Boy and McD, and
> at McD I could get two meager burgers, an order of fries, and a drink,
> and still get back a little change from a dollar.
>
> I also spent my few eat-out dollars at a chimichanga lunch-joint near
> the campus, and a Chinese place that had an 87-cent "business man's
> lunch." :-)
>
> David

The Original Owl Cafe just outside Socorro heading to the Northern gate to
White Sands MR, was the best Green Chile Cheese Burgers in the world, bar
none. I would go down to WSMR from ABQ 1-2 time a week just to stop and eat
lunch there. I understand it was bought out and moved to ABQ and it is now
Corporate Commissary food on the order of Applebe's, Chili's, Red Robin,
Olive Garden, etc. Better than any of the WhataBurgers which were prety damn
good. Dude , ours W-A-Bs in West Texas served Cherry Peppers instead of
the Jalapenos.

MDs was the home of the 12- 15 cents, LBLB food, little beef on a little
bun. Gut fill was all that was.

I guess it is too hard for a real Mom and Pop eatery to compete with
Marketing dollars, the profit margin in foods leaves little room for error.
Proves it is not Taste but Preception we tend to buy. Marketing Rules!!