Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Sonoran Dude Sonoran Dude is offline

Default The taco stand inspired McDonalds

dtwright37 wrote:
> On May 4, 2:33 am, Sonoran Dude > wrote:
>
>> Whataburger is an icon here in Arizona. Back in the day they out
>> numbered McDonalds. Whataburger prides itself on 100% American Beef and
>> I think it makes a big difference. I sure it's more like 90% Texas Beef
>> and probably some other beef to feed the California consumers.
>> Jalapeno peppers have been on the menu since I can remember.

> Although I now live in the land of Whataburger, I still miss the New
> Mexico chain of Blake's Lotaburger, whose green chile burgers were
> pretty darn good for a chain when I lived there. Buns were a little
> bit soggy and the green chile was a little sparse the last time or two
> I was over to NM, but I will always stop by at least once for old
> times sake.
>
> David

We had Blakes in Phoenix. Excellent burger but I think the neighborhood
caught up with them. It was down in an old motel circle district on W.
Mohave that has long since been boarded up.
Lenny's Burger Shop is a small local chain that has that nostalgic
quality of quality grease. Of the national chains I was bummed when
Burger Chef was absorbed by Burger King in the early 70s. Burger Chef
featured a delicious triple bun burger similar to the Big Mac and the
Bob's Big Boy.
The Bonus Jack was another good triple bun burger extinct by corporate
decisions. Jack should bring that one back for old time sake.