Posted to rec.food.cooking
flitterbit flitterbit is offline

Default House Committee to Investigate Melamine-In-Food Fiasco

Emma Thackery wrote:
> So now we're talking rice and vegetable protein as well. [expletive!]
> We can only hope that they can actually do something before we all start
> looking like Alf. This is the Congressional new release:
>
> <http://energycommerce.house.gov/Press_110/110nr30.shtml>
>

> And this is some pointed commentary on FireDogLake:
>
> <http://www.firedoglake.com/2007/05/0...f-government-c
> ontinues/>

.... and arsenic in chicken feed may prove hazardous to human health:

<http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=67500>

excerpt:

<begin quote>

Roxarsone, the most common arsenic-based additive used in chicken feed,
is used to promote growth, kill parasites and improve pigmentation of
chicken meat. In its original form, roxarsone is relatively benign. But
under certain anaerobic conditions, within live chickens and on farm
land, the compound is converted into more toxic forms of inorganic
arsenic. Arsenic has been linked to bladder, lung, skin, kidney and
colon cancer, while low-level exposures can lead to partial paralysis
and diabetes, the article notes.

<end quote>