zxcvbob

Default Why so long for soups?

MarilynŠ wrote:
[snip]

> Back, up Mark...do you even remember your original post? I do.
> Here, I'll repost it for you and refresh your memory on what your
> original question was and the one that you keep bringing up again and
> again and again and not being satisfied with any answers that anyone
> has given you regarding canning time. And yes, there have been many
> entire thread. *************************

[snip]

> Yes, I do generally have meat in my soups, but I also can things like
> salsa and stewed tomatoes and chili and turkey and spaghetti sauce
> and chicken broth, etc., etc., etc. and I follow the processing times
> as given by the USDA or the NCHFP or in the Ball Blue Book or in the
> book that came with my Mirro pressure canner. I don't go, "ah, gee,
> I really don't want to have to have my canner running for as long as
> it says in the directions, I really wish I could do it for less
> time." No, I just do it.
>

>> Please dont take this as me pressing the issue until I get the
>> answer I want. The only times I have reitterated the initial
>> question was to clarify my question being misread or
>> misinterpretted as has specifically been the case with Brian. He
>> has restated things that I have never implied and things that can
>> not even be found in this thread. Yes, these are pet peeves of mine
>> but thats not why I am going on and on but I dont like to be
>> misquoted. Its all part of Usenet.

> misquoting you anywhere. And you have kept on repeating the original
> question. You never once said, "okay, the approved sources say do
> process for such-and-such time, then I'd better follow suit."
>
> People do go off on tangents. That's also part of Usenet. Always
> has been. Unmoderated Usenet is anarchy in its finest form.
>

>> Good day, Mark
>>

> And the same to you.

I took the original question to mean, "I really don't want to process it
that long, am I even looking at the right recipe?" That's why I first
asked why the processing time makes any difference; then I looked for
some alternate recipes. The recipe referenced at nchfp is designed to
be used with any combination of meat and vegetables. It will work just
fine for vegetable soups, because the vegetables will be so overcooked
after the first 30 or 40 minutes, the rest of the processing won't
really affect their texture much. Besides, I like for the vegetables to
be cooked to death in soups.

Best regards,
Bob