Mark & Shauna

Default Why so long for soups?

Brian Mailman wrote:
> Mark & Shauna wrote:
>
>>The hospital stay has nothing to do with it. The question is "what is
>>necessary". Not, "can we cheat and can for less than the recipe calls
>>for?". That has never been the question. There is no information that I
>>have found regarding canning combinations that do not fulfill the
>>ingredient list of a given recipe.

> Have you thought to try something more effective than asking a group of
> lay people, say, like writing the authors who actually came up with the
> times quoted and finding out why those times are recommended? Or ask
> your local USDA rep? Or the folks at the folks at NFSD? Or do you wish
> to continue this "nobody can provide information" bit?
>
> If fuel/energy is at such a premium that you're apparently willing to
> gamble, why not use *free* sunlight to dry the items that are dryable,
> and can the items that have less time at less time?
>
> B/

We posted here first wondering if it was just common knowledge among
"experienced home canners" to quote another reply. I figured it would be
far quicker than waiting for a mail back from the NCHFP or something.
The group has been a valuable source of information for us.
I never complained that "nobody can provide information" on this NG. If
you can site where I have I would appreciate it. What I was mereley
pointing out is that upon asking a question about canning times for
VEGETABLE soup, with a supplied list of vegetables to be in said soup, I
was informed about meat and poultry soups, freezing, canning corn (which
was actually my mistake), trips to the hospital and so on.
Your last paragraph again sums up my last reply to you. You havent even
a grasp of the thread. Have you read it? You state:

"and can the items that have less time at less time?"

There has _never_ been a question about trying to can a vegetable that
requires 75 minutes of canning time in less time. Never, this is
something you have concocted in your mind as you havent read, or misread
the thread, if you have even read it.
All of the vegetables in the soup can be canned in 50 minutes
individually. My question was, would canning this group of vegetables as
a soup for 60 minutes (when the longest required is 50) be ok? This
seems to be something you are unable to absorb so I will stop trying to
explain it to you.
As far as drying and the sun, yes, we do dry and we do use a solar
cooker, but one thing you do seem to know based on your last paragraph
is that solar canning is not an option.

Good day,
Mark