Brian Mailman

Default Why so long for soups?

Mark & Shauna wrote:

> The hospital stay has nothing to do with it. The question is "what is
> necessary". Not, "can we cheat and can for less than the recipe calls
> for?". That has never been the question. There is no information that I
> have found regarding canning combinations that do not fulfill the
> ingredient list of a given recipe.

Have you thought to try something more effective than asking a group of
lay people, say, like writing the authors who actually came up with the
times quoted and finding out why those times are recommended? Or ask
your local USDA rep? Or the folks at the folks at NFSD? Or do you wish
to continue this "nobody can provide information" bit?

If fuel/energy is at such a premium that you're apparently willing to
gamble, why not use *free* sunlight to dry the items that are dryable,
and can the items that have less time at less time?

B/