MarilynŠ

Default Why so long for soups?

In ,
Mark & Shauna > took a deep breath, sighed and spoke thusly:
> The hospital stay has nothing to do with it. The question is "what is
> necessary". Not, "can we cheat and can for less than the recipe calls
> for?". That has never been the question. There is no information that
> I have found regarding canning combinations that do not fulfill the
> ingredient list of a given recipe.
>
> As I have stated, we would unquestionably can for the recommended time
> if something was stated like "due to the density of soups it is
> recommended ..... " or some other reason but I have not found, nor
> been told this. Of course we could just can them for the longer time
> and be done with it but for reasons moreso of efficiency we would
> much rather can for less time. I agree with Bob in that the fuel the
> LP stove uses to keep the canner canning (our stove is on its lowest
> setting when the canner is running) is negligible but that doesnt
> negate the fact that it is more, and moreso more time which means
> less production.
>
> Its a very simple question with a very simple answer and doesnt demand
> all of this speculation and applying things that were never part of
> the original post. Your statement is a direct example of this, go
> back and read the thread again, it was said numerous times that if
> the longer time _is what is neccesary_ that is perfectly fine.
> However no one has given any data on the necessary part.
>
> Mark
>
> Brian Mailman wrote:
>> I think the question is whether it's more cost-effective to
>> *possibly* use a bit more fuel or pay for a hospital stay.
>>
>> B/

The reason none of us can give you a definitive answer is because we are not qualified to
do that. None of us are scientific experts with the degrees to back us up. Most of us
are just experienced home canners who rely on approved sources such as the USDA to provide
us with the proper methodology. I, for one, don't question when they tell me that it's
the correct way to do it. No, I'm not a mindless autonomaton (sp), but I figure they
tested the methodology and recipes and have come up with the safest methods and processing
times to can any particular product and who am I to question it? I don't have a
background in any field that would allow me to give an authoritative answer.

--
Marilyn