Posted to rec.food.baking
Plumb Loco Records Plumb Loco Records is offline

Default food processor dough making

"graham" > wrote in message

> "martha" > wrote in message
>> So, I got a cuisinart DLC-7P. I think that it's big enough to make a
>> good size loaf. I got my original instructions in here. Though my
>> processor was small
>> Now I believe that I have a food processor that will handle the job but I
>> can't find ny how-to

> Does it have a plastic dough blade?
> If so, put the flour and salt in it and briefly pulse to mix. Proof the
> yeast in a small amount of warm water with a pinch of sugar. After about
> 10 minutes, it will be frothing nicely so add it to the flour and pulse a
> few times to mix. Then, with the machine running, add the cold water in a
> steady stream until the dough pulls away from the side of the bowl.
> Continue for 1 minute. If it sticks to the side, you can always add a bit
> more flour (1 Tbsp at a time). It's always better to have a more moist
> dough though.
>
> The quantities depend on the capacity of your processor. I have the
> Professional 14 version that supposedly has a capacity of ~3lbs (~1.5kg)
> of dough but, from experience, I never go over ~2lbs (900g - 1kg).
>
> A typical recipe might be:
> 3 cups of AP flour (if you are in the northern US or Canada, otherwise use
> a "Best for Bread" type)
> 2 tsp instant yeast (or one package)
> 1/3 cup warm water for proofing the yeast with a pinch of sugar.
> 1.25 tsp salt
> 1 cup of cold water
>
> If you weigh your ingredients (and I STRONGLY recommend that you do) the
> following works:
> 500g flour (as above)
> 1.5tsp salt
> 2tsp instant yeast
> 320 mls water
> Use some of the water and a pinch of sugar to proof the yeast. One is
> supposed to add the instant dried yeast directly to the flour but I think
> dissolving it first is best.
>
> The above are for basic white breads. For variation, use about 50% whole
> wheat flour and up to about 10% rye flour but always keep at least 40% of
> white in the mix.
> HTH
> Graham

I just put everything (one-loaf recipes are all I've attempted in my 14-cup
Cuisinart) in the work bowl with the metal blade, put the lid on and run the
motor until the ingredients form a ball of dough. I never proof the yeast,
and I never trickle the liquid ingredients in. I just dump and whiz, and
I've never had any problems or complaints regarding my finished product.