SCUBApix

Default Why so long for soups?

"Mark & Shauna" > wrote in message ...
> MarilynŠ wrote:
> > In ,
> > Mark & Shauna > took a deep breath, sighed and spoke thusly:
> >
> >>I went to http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_04/soups.html after having
> >>selcted "vegetable soups" and was shocked to see 75 minutes for soups?
> >>
> >>We are harvesting the last of our garden and were planning a huge
> >>batch of leeks, cabbage, carrots, squash, etc. into a large vegetable
> >>soup or base. The 75 minute processing time seemed unreasonably long.
> >>Is this what you all do?
> >>

> >>Mark

> > Yep, but then my soup always contains some form of meat or poultry.

However, looking at
> > the processing time for just various types of vegetables by themselves,

not in soup or
> > anything, many of them do take that long to process just on their own.

So with a
> > combination of different vegetables, you have to go for the one with the

longest
> > processing time, which is why soup has such a long processing time.
> >

> Well I guess my question is, for instance, on this page:
> http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_04/...egetables.html
> There is a recipie for canning mixed vegetables. Not all of the
> individual vegetables are listed on the NCHFP page for individual
> canning but from what I can see there isnt a veggie in the list that
> individually would requrire more than 50 minutes to be canned on its own
> and yet the site calls for 90 minutes? Is this a density issue?

I guess I don't understand your question. Or rather, I don't understand your
statement that no individual veggie requires more than 50 minutes. Using the
same site (http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_04/corn_kernel.html), you can
see that whole kernel corn, which is in the list of mixed veggies you
referenced, required 85 minutes for processing. The mixed veggies says 90
minutes. That's only a 5 min difference. That could simply be a 'safety'
addition or it could be to handle some other veggie (they say you can add
other veggies).

My best guess (please note I said 'guess') is that it is a density issue
because the corn can fill in spaces from other veggies and 'hide' from the
heat.