Thread: Mouldy Cheese
View Single Post
  #14 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 29-04-2007, 12:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini kilikini is offline
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,965
Default Mouldy Cheese

Jerry Sauk wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 26, 1:15?pm, Dave Smith wrote:
wrote:

Last time I had a nice dinner party, a guest brought some cheese as
a "Gift". I already had a fruit and cheese plate nicely arraged, so
I asked her to just put it in the fridge.


Well last night I found the cheeze. It said Cammenbeart on the
label, and it was FULL of mould!


I guess I should throw it out. I tried to scrape off the mould, but
it was all in the crevices.


You should save it for the next time you are invited to the house of
the person who brought it to you and re-gift. You can tell them how
much you enjoyed the one they gave you and thought you should return
the favour.


That mould is perfectly edible, in fact it's the best part...
camenbert has a thick ivory colored rind, similar to brie.

Camembert cheese [KAM-uhm-behr]
Napoleon is said to have christened this cheese with the appellation
"Camembert," naming it after the Norman village where a farmer's wife
first served it to him. Now world famous, this cow's-milk cheese has a
white, downy rind and a smooth, creamy interior. When perfectly ripe,
the cheese should ooze thickly. When overripe, it becomes runny,
bitter and rank. Choose Camembert that is plump and soft to the touch.
Avoid those with hardened edges, which may forecast overripeness.

? Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.


What about if you have plain regular cheddar that you left if the
fridge to long and it gets moldy.... is that cheese/mold still
edible?

Peace,

Jerry


I'd eat it, but I'd trim off the mold first. Been there, done that. :~)

kili