Old 27-04-2007, 01:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default Mouldy Cheese

On Apr 27, 5:58´┐Żam, "Kswck" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote in message

oups.com...
On Apr 26, 1:15?pm, Dave Smith wrote:

wrote:

Last time I had a nice dinner party, a guest brought some cheese as a
"Gift". I already had a fruit and cheese plate nicely arraged, so I
asked
her to just put it in the fridge.

Well last night I found the cheeze. It said Cammenbeart on the label,
and
it was FULL of mould!

I guess I should throw it out. I tried to scrape off the mould, but it
was all in the crevices.

You should save it for the next time you are invited to the house of the
person who brought it to you and re-gift. You can tell them how much you
enjoyed the one they gave you and thought you should return the favour.

That mould is perfectly edible, in fact it's the best part...
camenbert has a thick ivory colored rind, similar to brie.

Camembert cheese *[KAM-uhm-behr]
Napoleon is said to have christened this cheese with the appellation
"Camembert," naming it after the Norman village where a farmer's wife
first served it to him. Now world famous, this cow's-milk cheese has a
white, downy rind and a smooth, creamy interior. When perfectly ripe,
the cheese should ooze thickly. When overripe, it becomes runny,
bitter and rank. Choose Camembert that is plump and soft to the touch.
Avoid those with hardened edges, which may forecast overripeness.

? Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

Sheldon: Where do you find this online? I have the printed FLC, but I cannot
find it online

Epicurious.com etal.

WTF is "FLC"?

Sheldon