Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Freyburger Doug Freyburger is offline

Default Why do we still use chopsticks?

Karen > wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
>
> Ancient tools are updated to modern tools all over the board. But
> chopsticks remain on the table. I'm just wondering why. I suppose
> tradition is the answer?

The answer is efficiency and ease. There is a learning
curve to acquire skill with chopsticks but once I had
made that effort I discovered that a lot of types of food
are actually easier to eat with chopsticks. Use the
right tool for the job - a principle that points to using
chopsticks at some meals.

> > You can't scoop up soup with a fork, either. If you
> > need to spear something when eating with chopsticks,
> > you're doing something wrong. I can handle a salmon
> > filet with chopsticks.

> Well, there's the invention of the spoon that one uses for soup.

Correct. Soup, large pieces of meat, there are plenty
of types of food where chopsticks are not the right tool.

> Of course, noodles slide right over the edges.

Again this is a skill issue. Get yourself over the
learning curve. I have long since taken to using chopsticks
with noodles at any place that offers them. For the
reason that it is easier now that I have gotten over
the learning curve.

> > Well, don't use them, then. Ask for silverware.

> I could, but I don't. I really don't want to use silverware when
> everyone else is using chopsticks. So I struggle.

Either go through the learning curve until you find it
easy or avoid chopsticks. Your choice.

> But, then I wonder why many struggle?

I don't know why many struggle. Lack of a good teacher
perhaps. I only know that for very many once the skill
is acquired it's the easy way.

> > I suppose you avoid the taste of metal (with wooden or
> > bamboo chopsticks, of course).

> Yeah, maybe.

Metal is smooth. Roughness of chopsticks does make
them even easier for specific foods. But the smooth ones
go in the dishwasher and last for a very long time. Options
are plentiful.

> Just wondering why we cling to
> chopsticks when eating certain types of food.

Because it's easier than with a fork once the skill has been
acquired.

> And, if those reasons
> are valid (like avoiding the taste of metal), why not use chopsticks
> exclusively, like for spaghetti, for example?

I do prefer them for spagetti though not a lot of places carry
them - the chain Noodles & Company does for example.

The reasons they aren't used exclusively is they aren't
appropriate for certain types of food and the type of food
prepared in some cultures has some people never
acquiring the skill with them to make them be viewed as
easier.