Cookie Cutter

Default Chili con Queso

Olivers wrote:

> Gachupine (or puro) - born in Mexico of pure Spanish blood, claimed by
> many, far more than really are.
>
> Criollo - Mexican with a minimal admixture of Indian blood (although seen
> in Vera Cruz, Tampico to describe individuals with African ancestry but
> Hispanic surnames).
>
> Mestizo - Mostly native American
>
> Indio - all NA

I have never heard the term, "Gachupine." Historically, "Criollo" meant
the person was born in the New World but had pure European (Spanish)
blood, "Mestizo" meant mixed, and "Indio" meant native indian. People
seem to have expanded the usages today. In white New Orleans, Creoles
are the old French/Spanish families. In black New Orleans, those folks
whose roots are from the 19th century quadroon balls call themselves
"Creoles." They are handsome people, easily distinquished as "creoles"
from their looks. Ex-mayor Dutch Morial and his son, ex-mayor Mark
Morial, are from that background. They are very proud of their heritage
and usually marry other Creoles.

The term, "anglo," was used by the Texas Welfare Dept almost 40 years
ago when I worked there to refer to white people. You were "Anglo
Saxon" whether your ancestors were Picts, Normans, Huns, or Jutes. It
didn't have any bad connotation . . . it just meant "white."

Cookie