Posted to alt.food.barbecue
BOB[_1_] BOB[_1_] is offline

Default Buying brisket

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message

> On 21 Apr 2007 16:14:54 GMT, ceed wrote:
>
> > Thanks. I got a couple yesterday at Randalls. They were $1.29/lb and
> > marked USDA. ...

> USDA what? Select, choice, prime...
>
> Warning: I've been burned too many times buying meat at Randalls.
> I just returned some to Randalls today and got my money back.
>
> > I did the "bend-test" and picked a couple that were more
> > bendy than the others.

> I've never heard of the bend test.
>
> -sw

You want a floppy brisket. You get the one that you can bend the most from
end-to-end. If the ends can touch (still in the cryovac), it's a pretty
"tender" brisket.

More important is the marbling in the edges of the flat. I've seen select
with better marbling than choice (I've never seen a prime brisket) and
cooked side-by-side, the select turned out better tasting and more tender
than the choice.

BOB