Olivers

Default Monte Cristo Sandwich

Bob (this one) extrapolated from data available...

> Mark Preston wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>>
>> I am having to do this from memory.
>>
>> George L. Herter wrote a 3 volume set of books on food and cooking.
>>
>> It will have the "origins" of the Monte Cristo sandwich, I am fairly
>> sure.
>>
>> You may have to ask your local public library to borrow it; if they
>> themselves don't have it.
>>
>> Good luck.

> Aw, jeez, Mark. We've been through the lightweight phoniness and plain
> nonsense of Herter's "facts" before. I wouldn't trust his books to
> hold up a short table leg.
>
> It's not in Herter's "Bull Cook" (about which it becomes obvious after
> a moment's reading, is missing one word in the title).

Oh, Bob, he's not that bad....certainly a "hoot" to read, and his grossest,
most glaring errors literally leap from the pages (as if he might not have
been composing with the "deadly serious" mode turned on).

I suspect that as with many other dishes, it may be hard to place an
accurate "person + moment" to the Monte Christo, but it certainly seems
Edwardian and I'd be inclined to bet on Paris (or Deauville/Nice/etc.),
1875-1910 or so.

Now, as to the relationship with "Croque Monsieur" ?

TMO

TMO