Kate Connally

Default Monte Cristo Sandwich

Charles Gifford wrote:

> I have done a considerable amount of searching today about the Monte Cristo
> sandwich. I, for some reason, thought that this was cooked by deep-frying.
> Most of the recipes I have seen are pan or griddle fried in butter with only
> a few that call for deep-frying. I have not been successful in discovering
> the origin of this sandwich let alone what the original method was. The
> variations are astounding! Can anyone help with the history of this
> sandwich? Thanks!

Charlie,
I googled it and this is what I came up with.
It seems to be a variation on the Croque Monsieur.
It appears in the 1940's and 50's in So. Calif.
It is not deep fried, but fried in butter according
to the earliest known recipes. See these sites:

http://www.hungrymonster.com/FoodFac...iches&fid=7541

http://www.gti.net/mocolib1/kid/food...ml#montecristo

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Histo...ichHistory.htm

Kate