Frogleg

Default Lobster

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extpubs/pla...ops/pp551w.htm

>> Ergotamine is an abortifacient and a vaso-constrictor. Ergotamine
>> tartrate is the primary ingredient of LSD.

>It isn't. It's a chemical from whch LSD can be made. It's commonly
>prescribed as an anti-migraine drug; the standard dose is 2mg, which
>is 8 times larger than a 1960s-level LSD dose and about 50 times the
>LSD dose people usually take these days. That is, if there were any
>significant LSD-like effects from ergotamine tartrate there'd be a
>lot of migraine sufferers noticing it.

I didn't say ergotamine tartrate *was* LSD; I said it was a primary
ingredient. I *was* wrong about it being an abortifacient -- I seem to
remember that warning from my migraine days. It *is* contraindicated
for pregnant women or those who may become pregnant. Symptoms of
ergotism (ergot poisoning) may include writhing, tremors, convulsions,
hallucinations, and temporary or permanant psychosis. One presumes
medications prescribed for vascular headaches are not *quite* the same
formulation as either LSD or rye bread made from ergoty grain, just
the same as curare and digitalis are both poisons and medications.