Posted to rec.food.cooking
John Kane John Kane is offline

Default Why do we still use chopsticks?

On Apr 19, 4:24 pm, Karen > wrote:
> Pondering the use of chopsticks in western society. Since forks,
> knives, spoons were invented, why do we still use chopsticks?
>
> Chopsticks are disposable, which impacts the environment and uses up
> trees.

Well, I've had some for 15 years and they look fine

> They're ancient.

So? Knives are too.

> You can't cut up a piece of teriyaki chicken or a big piece of sushi
> with chopsticks.

Get a better cook, one who knows how to use a knife.

You can't scoop up the soup with a chopstick.
I don't drink soup with a fork either.

>You
> can't spear anything with a chopstick.

Well actually you can if you try. Japanese style chopsticks seem
to be sharpened for exactly that purpose.

>It seems that modern utensils
> make more sense but we still use chopsticks.

Modern ? When, in heaven's name do you think knives and spoons were
invented. At the opening of the first Macdonalds?

> And, some of us aren't very good at using them, either.

Practice. Lots of little kids have problems with spoons too.

(me) Is
> considered that eating with chopsticks tidier than eating with a knife
> and fork? It seems less tidy to me and some slurping and splattering
> occurs in the course of using chopsticks.

Where do you live?

> Why aren't chopsticks being phased out? Why do we use chopsticks for
> certain types of food?

Because they are the best tool for the job?

> Do they make food taste better?

Yes.
> Is the slender chopstick able to place
> the food on the tongue in a location that may enhance the flavor?

I think it is because Chinese food has not evolved to deal with metal.
If you think about it, sticking a piece of metal into your mouth with
every bite of food seems rather perverse.
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada