Posted to rec.food.cooking
Karen[_3_] Karen[_3_] is offline

Default Why do we still use chopsticks?

On Apr 19, 3:35 pm, "kilikini" > wrote:
> I use chopsticks on a daily basis and so does my husband. They're excellent
> to scoop up peas, rice, beans, corn........ we even bring our own to Asian
> restaurants, take them home and wash them. I eat salads with them, seafood,
> you name it. If something has a sauce to it, like baked beans, yes, I'll
> use a spoon or a fork, but other than that, we opt for chopsticks. It's
> somehow tidier; I tend to drop less food, believe it or not. In fact, we're
> raising 3 tiny baby blue jays (long story) and I'm feeding THEM with
> chopstix. (And picking up their poo with them. It's so much easier! - oh,
> not the same chopsticks for both things. 2 different sets.)

I bought a little stick in Japan that I thought was a chopstick for a
child with a little scoop on the end. It ended up being an ear-pick. I
keep it in my silverware drawer because it is so pretty.

> If I panko a fillet of fish, again, I use chopsticks. You can pry the fish
> into pieces and pick out the most minute slivers. I think they're the
> greatest invention of mankind.

Well, you are definitely not the only one. Millions of people agree
with you on that score. With all of the kitchen gadgets on the market,
it seems the chopstik is one that stands the test of time.

But, it is interesting, isn't it? We can put a man on the moon, and
NASA can technologically create things for efficiency, but a stick
remains favor?

Karen