Bob (this one)

Default Bacon

Olivers wrote:

> Bob (this one) muttered....
>
>>In the early 50's in my parents' restaurant, we had a "sandwich press"
>>that we used to make grilled cheese sandwiches and the like.

> I still have an ancient "home model", smaller, with detachable uppper and
> lower "plates" replaceable with "waffle iron
> versions. Theres a little grease drip (under which some sort of open
> container is required).
>
> Classic road food/diner cuisine requires cooking bacon on a griddle, often
> using a "bacon press", a flat surfaced, weighted, brick-sized object which
> helps the cooking bacon the stay flat. Many were homemade, although
> obscure restaurant service firms may still offer them. Also used for
> "grilled cheese" in cafes without "sandwich presses" (the version used for
> better Cuban sandwiches).

I have a bacon press that's sorta Food Network TV "nifty." It's cast
iron and about 8" across. A flat plate with a wooden handle. The face
of the plate has a bas relief of a pig with the words "Bacon Press"
debossed around it. No more the simple functional utility of a flat
sheet of cast iron. Now we have to have them decorated. Hilarious.

OTOH, The bacon stays flat. My other major use for it is to flatten
boneless, skinless chicken thighs when cooking them.

Pastorio