Olivers

Default Bacon

Bob (this one) muttered....

> In the early 50's in my parents' restaurant, we had a "sandwich press"
> that we used to make grilled cheese sandwiches and the like. It was
> two flat plates about a foot square that opened like a waffle iron,
> both sides heated to brown the bread most wonderfully.

Ahhh, the classic applaince of Calle Ocho in Miami, necessary for the
preservation of the Cuban Sandwich as an art form.

> My parents sometimes cooked other things in it like steaks and bacon.
> There was a drip tray (small) that had to be emptied several times a
> day. But the sandwiches were wonderful, brown and crisped at the
> surface, cheese all meltingly smooth inside.

I still have an ancient "home model", smaller, with detachable uppper and
lower "plates" replaceable with "waffle iron
versions. Theres a little grease drip (under which some sort of open
container is required).

Classic road food/diner cuisine requires cooking bacon on a griddle, often
using a "bacon press", a flat surfaced, weighted, brick-sized object which
helps the cooking bacon the stay flat. Many were homemade, although
obscure restaurant service firms may still offer them. Also used for
"grilled cheese" in cafes without "sandwich presses" (the version used for
better Cuban sandwiches).

TMO