Bob (this one)

Default Bacon

Kacey Barriss wrote:

> Hi, J
>
> I don't believe so. A panini grill is constructed in a manner similiar
> to an electric waffle iron or pizzelle iron - both "plates" are grooved
> so as to interlock when closed; slightly angled so the grease drips into
> the drain groove. It cooks both sides at once. They are most commonly
> used to do sandwiches. In the US there's a copy cat principle product
> referred to as a George Foreman grill (only because he decided to
> down-size the equipment use various plastics, etc. to decrease the price
> and promote it as a "healthy alternative to the use of a BBQ".

In the early 50's in my parents' restaurant, we had a "sandwich press"
that we used to make grilled cheese sandwiches and the like. It was
two flat plates about a foot square that opened like a waffle iron,
both sides heated to brown the bread most wonderfully.

My parents sometimes cooked other things in it like steaks and bacon.
There was a drip tray (small) that had to be emptied several times a
day. But the sandwiches were wonderful, brown and crisped at the
surface, cheese all meltingly smooth inside.

Pastorio