Mark Zanger

Default Almond vs Coconut Macaroons

I've seen a 1732 Boston ms. recipe for cocoa-nut pudding. I would guess that
some were in the Atlantic cities in the mid-late 17th Century, since they
were supplying the Caribbean with cod, maize, pitch, and slaves by then.

--
-Mark H. Zanger
author, The American History Cookbook, The American Ethnic Cookbook for

"ASmith1946" > wrote in message
> Recipes for coconut as well as almond macaroons were published in Eliza
> Leslie's "Directions for Cookery" (1837). Several other recipes include
> "cocoa-nut" as an ingredient so coconuts were available in Philadelphia by

this
> time. It would surprise me if they were not widely available at a much

earlier
> date, as they were readily available in the Caribbean.
>
> Andy Smith
>
> >Al though some might disagree, I'd put the US (and Australian) coconut
> >macaroon as an late 19th/early 20th century "invention" to utilize the
> >newly available processed coconut from the South Seas trade, sort of a
> >small change adjunct to the coconut oil business (and long predated by

the