Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Steve Calvin Steve Calvin is offline

Default better luck smoking

>> I used the chimney starter saturday with the newspaper drizzled with
>> corn oil (the can of PAM was near empty so I used in on the grates)

Just curious, why the corn oil? Couple of sheets waded up
(not to tightly) and my lump starts fine with no additional
fuel other than a match.

>> The thermometer I placed in the dome is a farse - the water pan was
>> boiling before it read 200 degrees. It looks like I will be placing
>> one at each grill level.

I "think" you're talking about a WSM. If you are, that's a
good move. Weber sells 'em for ten bucks if I recall
correctly. Drill a hole at each grate level and mount 'em
on. You can see mine after the mod at:
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL413.../103771621.jpg

The fire however seemed to be snuffed when I
>> started getting some ash built up - so I think I need to work on the
>> ash drains a little more.

hm... you do have the coals on top of the grate and not
under it right? I've never had that problem at all. It's
probably a dumb question, but ya never know:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/assembly.html

I usually use a variation of the Minion method. I put unlit
lump on the grate with a pocket in the center (not all the
way to the bottom) and then just dump the burning lump from
the chimney in.

>> I drilled some holes in the sides of the ask pan and it seemed to help
>> some. When stirring the coal with fresh charcoal didn't work too
>> well, I put the blow gun of my air compressor through their and it
>> caused a nice whirlwind which got the coals lit.

You're looking for q'ing temps, not grilling right? I would
never "stir". Try the Minion method, it works very well.

I believe you said you were running water in the pan. I'd
change that to clean sandbox sand covered with aluminum foil.

--
Steve
http://adirondackoutdoors.forumcircle.com