Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
sjschen sjschen is offline

Default Tea and caffeine

On Apr 15, 10:48 pm, LurfysMa > wrote:
> On 15 Apr 2007 17:57:59 -0700, wrote:
>
> >Oh, I forgot your question about pu-erhs.

> >I don't have any scientific basis for this, but I get quite an
> >intensive "high" from pu-erhs which I attribute to a fair amount of
> >caffeine.

> Pu-erhs are refermented blacks, right? So, they ought to be at least
> as high as blacks, right?
>
> --

Pu-erhs, at least for the shou and aged sheng, are post-fermented
green teas. The variety of tea plant that pu-erh is produced from (C.
sinenesis var. Assamica) is also different from most teas in the
market, including, black teas. I'm guessing that the post-fermentation
process reduces the caffeine content of the pu-erh tea, which I feel
has quite a high caffeine content in its sheng form.