Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Buying brisket

"ceed" > wrote in message
. 4...
> . Sometimes it gets dry and stringy.It
> seems like briskets purchased at the same time in the same store ends up
> very similar. So I have a feeling it has to do with the quality of the
> meat. How can I check the brisket before I buy it trying to make sure what
> I get is of good quality?

What are you buying? You are not buying flats are you? If so, that is the
biggest problem. trimmed and not enough fat to keep it from drying out.

If you ware buying a full packer cut, bend it in half while still in the
package. It should flex easily and the two end should meet. It does not
really matter what grade it is. I can get good results from select or
choice, not like a steak.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/