Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Will[_1_] Will[_1_] is offline

Default Required equipment for SD Baking

On Apr 13, 12:33 pm, "Jeff Miller" > wrote:

> I'd heartily recommend that someone get an oven thermometer if they're
> experiencing problems, but I wouldn't tell a newbie that it's a required
> piece of equipment before starting to bake.

Then what happens is the bread doesn't brown right and nobody knows
whether the newbie over-proofed it or the oven was doing the herky-
jerk.

I agree with you about the baskets though. A bowl with an old napkin
works fine.

And I don't care how the proof box works, an oven light, a box with
warm water... even going to the moon with aquarium heaters and pumps
<g>... I'm not crazy about watching bread rise... it's about as
interesting as watching paint dry.

The dough thermometer, however, is pretty useful, particularly when
you're trying to fine tune the flavor. I think it helps newbies
because it allows them to follow a procedure. Most decent baking
books, Hamelman comes to mind, are specific about retard and proof
temps. And... proofing issues are one of the most common problems
posted here. What do we always ask? Temperature? What do they never
know? The temperature.