Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Mike Avery Mike Avery is offline

Default Required equipment for SD Baking

Jeff Miller wrote:
> an oven rack thermometer
>
> Eh. I don't see the point, myself. If the bread's not baking through or the
> crust isn't dark / crispy / whatever enough, just adjust the dial a bit next
> time.

Oven thermostats, to be kind, suck rocks. Most are off by considerable
amounts, and many vary. So, you set your oven to 350F and the next
think you know, your bread has turned to mahogany (the phrase one of my
employees used to describe the bread when he burned it. He's a used car
salesman now.) The oven shoots to 500, drops to 250, and then climbs to
450. I've seen oven temperatures fluctuate all over the place.

Using an oven thermometer lets you know what is really happening, and
when you need to call the repairman.

Mike

--
Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
part time baker ICQ 16241692

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day:
Don't worry if you're a kleptomaniac,
you can always take something for it.