Frogleg

Default Sugar

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 21:11:40 +0200, "Opinicus" >
wrote:

>(Subject changed from "Horn & Hardart")
>
>"Charles Gifford" > wrote in message news:bTJSb.3891
>
>> HORN AND HARDART'S BAKED MACARONI AND CHEESE

>8<snip!
>> 2 tsp. sugar

>Another US-origin recipe for a savory dish that includes sugar...
>
>Why? Why does sugar get put into so many unlikely things in North America?

AFAIK, it's regional in the US. I was surprised when I moved from CA
to VA to find 'sweet' in salad dressings and vegetables and all manner
of foods that I considered non-sweet. OTOH, sometimes sugar in small
(very small) quantities is more of a 'seasoning.' in some dishes. I
have a jar of palm sugar specifically for an Indonesian beef stew
recipe that calls for (as I recall) 1Tblsp for 1lb meat and a whole
raft of onions.