Joseph Carlin

Default best historical reciepe

I have a lot of favorites but the one I keep coming back to is Mrs. Abby
Fisher's recipe for Sweet Potato Pie. I teach the food history course at
the Cambridge School of Culinary Arts and I demonstrate this recipe because
it gives me an opportunity to unbundle it. Abby was the author of What Mrs.
Fisher knows about Old Southern Cooking. first published in 1881.
Considered the first cookbook by an African-American and a former slave.
Abby lived and worked in San Francisco which explains the orange taste. I
generally make one pie and make the following changes. I bake the sweet
potatoes, I use only two eggs and add 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup of milk.
Her Recipe follows:

Sweet Potato Pie

Two pounds of potatoes will make two pies. Boil the potatoes soft; peel and
mash fine through a cullender while hot; one tablespoonful of butter to be
mashed in with the potato. Take five eggs and beat the yelks and whites
separate and add one gill of milk; sweeten to taste; squeeze the juice of
one orange, ande grate one half of the peel into the liquid. One half
teaspoonful of salt in the potatoes. Have only one crust and thaty at the
bottom of the plate. Bake quickly.

Enjoy

Joe Carlin
Food Heritage Press