Posted to rec.food.cooking
BOB[_1_] BOB[_1_] is offline

Default Cook's Illustrated new! way to cook steak

"Kent" > wrote in message

> " BOB" > wrote in message
> > "Kent" > wrote in message
> >
> > > That May Cook's Illustrated that came today had
> > > an interesting article about steak that I'm going
> > > to try. This is for thick 1.5"+ steak only.
> > > You roast the steak in the oven at 275F until the
> > > internal temp. is 90F. Then you sear it
> > > quickly over high heat on a saute pan.
> > > The pics show "char rare" steak, with a
> > > crispy dark outside and an edge to edge
> > > rare interior.
> > > You can see this being done on :
> > > http://cooksillustrated.com/byissue.asp#topOfPage
> > >
> > > Why couldn't you warm the steak to 90F on the
> > > defrost setting of the microwave?
> > >
> > > Kent

> > There is a method that made the rounds on many of the BBQ
> > grill/smoker forums about a year or a year and a half ago that's
> > fairly similar. It's called the "Hot Tub Steak" or something
> > similar. You put your steak in a zip-lok bag, or vacuum sealed
> > bag, put it in the Hot tub (or a pan of hot water, etc.) 'til it
> > warms to (whatever) temperature, then you grill it. I don't care for it,
> > because I like the rare center of my steak to
> > be slightly cool when the outside is crusty-charred.
> > YMMV
> >
> > BOB
> >

> The author of the Cooks' Illustrated article referred to that. He
> said the zip-lock
> method fails because too much moisture accumulates on the surface of
> the steak.

When I tried it, I sealed the zip-lok, No moisture entered the bag

> The steak, at that point, won't brown.

Again, when I tried it, the steak browned just fine.

> When heated in the oven this
> doesn't occur.

Like I said, I like the rare center of my steak to
be slightly cool when the outside is crusty-charred.

> Kent

Why don't you try several different variations and see which *you* like
best.

BOB
Also repeating YMMV