Mark Zanger

Default History of Counterculture Food

>>As soon as Vietnam War ended, so did the counterculture movement, although
there are indeed remnants still around today.<<

Food was one of the most enduring legacies of the 60s. The movement to
"natural" food quickly spread (I have an all-organic recipe in a far-right
religious pamphlet of the mid 70s) and continues to play out.

--
-Mark H. Zanger
author, The American History Cookbook, The American Ethnic Cookbook for

"ASmith1946" > wrote in message
> This may be just a semantic difference. There were certainly food reform
> efforts in America before the 1960s and to some extent every reform effort

is
> countercultural by definition.
>
> But the term "counterculture" was raised to specifically describe a broad
> phenomena that began in the '60. It wasn't really a food reform effort,

at
> least it wasn't like Graham's or Kellogg's previous efforts. It was a

political
> movement -- with the anti-Vietnam War being the driving force. It

certainly had
> social and economic dimensions-- the attempt to create a better world

through
> communal living and the destruction (or replacement) of the capitalist

economic
> system. Food was just a side order.
>
> As soon as Vietnam War ended, so did the counterculture movement, although
> there are indeed remnants still around today.
>
> Recent food fights-- re GMOs and globalization-- do have some similar
> characteristcs as did the efforts during the '60s and '70s, which is why I
> added them to my original list.
>
> However, I'm tempted now, due to Bob's comments, to just define

counterculture