Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 2004 Chateauneuf du Pape

Bill S. wrote:
> A tasting of mostly 2004 Chateauneuf du Papes tasted double blind.

Thanks for the notes, Bill. As '04 is the birthyear of our son, I've
been casting about for '04 wines to set aside for birthday celebrations,
and CdPs have been high on the list.

> Vieux Donjon - colour on the lighter end of the spectrum, decent nose
> with some pepper, nice middle weight and some spice and pepper in the
> mouth. I thought it pleasant but ultimately a bit weak.

That surprises me. My only exposure to Vieux Donjon has been the '90
and '95, both of which were profound wines. From what I read later on
in your post, I suspect that this might be a reflection of vintage.

> Pegau - clear class of the bunch, very dark with a dark, even heavy
> ripe nose, quite a bit of tannin, huge wine needing lots of time but
> with all the elements to be very good. If you have this, don't drink
> it now - it will drink pretty well, but you'll be depriving yourself
> of a future treat!

I just picked up two bottles of this yesterday -- my first purchase of
an '04 CdP -- but I suffered a severe case of sticker shock. I may not
be buying any more vintages of this wine if the price keeps escalating
the way it has recently.

Mark Lipton