Alf Christophersen

Default jugged hare

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 21:25:23 +0100, Lazarus Cooke
> wrote:

>The first is plain daft. The french have known ways to avoid meat
>putrifying for a very long time. But I suppose the word "French" is the
>modern American for "******".

Hm. Birds was supposed to be hung until they started to move again
when I was a child. One wood-grooze I removed feathers from when child
(about 8 year, that is around 1958, was full of maggots, which I was
told was normal before starting the job,and indeed it was full of
them, but only on skin.
It tasted really delicious after having hung for about 3-4 weeks. No
rural or urban gozzips or legends there.
anyway, food was too expensive to be thrown at that time, so the food
was used anyway, evt. camuflaged in some way if seriously spoiled.

Remember the gruesome oxidized salted herrings in late spring, having
laid in salted brine since early autumn, now deep yellow from
rancidification after that long store.

So to let children accept the fact that no matter how spoiled the food
was, it had to be eaten, or you had to wait with food until that food
was eaten until you got something else to eat. (and I still remember
when buying some foods, we needed a permition to buy, but that ended I
think here in Norway around 1955 or so, except car which was
rationized until about 1962 or around there sometime.

But the point is that those stories about the need to hung until
almost eaten by faggots and moving by themselves by the help of
maggots was jokes told to make children accepting eating spoiled food.

(By the way, maggots is the new way to treat wounds that are difficult
to heal. The maggots eat the dead skin that hinder the wounds to grow,
which also is the reason for risk of deadly infections and thus the
maggots may hinder deadly infections, but many don't accept the
treatment on reason it is very unappetizing :-) Quite understandable,
though.