Lazarus Cooke

Default jugged hare

> If the meat starts to putrify, then the French used a sauce to cover
> the bad taste,
> >
> >>I was told of a method of hanging the rabbit or hare in a tree and allowing
> >>it to become fly-blown. Apparently, the flies and/or maggots eat the guts
> >>and when the flesh is almost green it is taken down, washed and cooked.

Both these sound like urban myths to me.

The first is plain daft. The french have known ways to avoid meat
putrifying for a very long time. But I suppose the word "French" is the
modern American for "******".

For the second, yeah, game tastes better (to British taste) hung for a
while - quite a long while. The French and Italians prefer don't like
it that way, and eat it fresh. But hanging game is just like hanging
beef. It makes it taste better, not rotten.

The best example of "rotten" food is probably that old roman sauce,
whose name I've forgotten, made from rotten fish.

Lazarus

--
Remover the rock from the email address