Ellen

Default Thermador SMW272 Broken Door Glass

"Dan" > wrote in message
om...

> About 1/2 hour into the self clean, as I was sitting in the kitchen, I
> heard a loud "backfire"/crack and spotted several large pieces of
> glass coming out of the front of the oven. I immediately turned the
> oven off and waited for it to cool down before turning on the oven
> light to see what happened (the instructions also say to keep the
> light off while in self clean mode).

I have a Thermadore -- different model. When it was just over a year old,
the glass in the oven door cracked with a rather loud noise however no glass
was thrown out/off. As it was the Wed before Thanksgiving Thurs and I had a
rather large turkey defrosted etc I was underamused. Called the local
service people who basically said "oh yeah, that problem. Can't get to you
til next week, as long as you don't have glass all over you can continue to
use the oven just don't turn it on too high and do not use the self
clean" -- sigh. I called Thermadore who informed me that the warranty was 1
year, the oven was now 14-15 months old and it was not their problem. That
was my 3rd problem in 14 months with a unit that cost well over 2K.

So is this a known problem? -- well maybe not specifically on your model but
it should be no secret to them as it appears, based on the reaction of the
service people I called what is now almost 3 years ago, that it wasn't a
particularly obscure problem then ....

There are other underachieving parts of this unit -- I find that the quality
leaves a lot to be desired and that being said, when it gets replaced I
figure I can get the same level of mediocrity for much less money :-)

Ellen