Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Wayne Lundberg Wayne Lundberg is offline

Default marinate for Carne Asada

"Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
. ..
> Gunner wrote:

> >> Red sauce? Carne Asada? Red sauce is a traditional Adobada marinade.

> > Yes Dude I know, a lot of Border recipes use a "London Broil" style
> > marinade ( oil, spices and some form of acetic or citric acid) in their
> > form of Asada using a plate cut ( flank, skirt or brisket cut)

especially
> > for the many and varied Fajita style dinner these days. My druthers

in
> > this style cut are similar. I like my skirt steak butterflied and
> > marinated with a Serrano, garlic,lime, parsley or cilantro, with S&P

sauce,
> > served quick grilled with a Chimichurri sauce on the side.
> >
> > However, for a grilled steak( Quick and fast and also a Carne Asada) I
> > like it quick marinated in a red chile vinegar type (recipes below) as
> > opposed to using a BBQ style sauce grilled on . When I BBQ ( Slow

and
> > Low) I use a dry rub, again with a Chile(s) base I like to marinade

> > Chuck eye steak ( a nice cut from the chuck but closer to the Rib so you

get
> > the Rib type steak for Chuck prices) and a flat iron steak. I first

thought
> > these were marketing gimmicks but now I like them especially for the

price.

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=...ile%20guajillo
> > Rick Bayless has another in his books
> >
> > BTW a good flavor combo: Chiles, cumin and orange on a Chicken or Fish
> > Asada.
> >

> The local butcher has a "red" puerco adobada marinade for thin steaks of
> pork butt. I'm not sure how they traditionally serve these thin cuts but
> being a gringo I threw them on a hot mesquite grill and they come out
> excellent with just a minute or two on each side. There must be a high
> sugar content in the marinade because the steaks come out beautifully
> charred. I guess since I like red sauce with pork I'll give yours a go.
> Thanks for the link.
>
> OT: You should order up some Santa Cruz red chili powder for your rubs.
> It has a mild heat that won't turn your guests away running for fluids.
> I use all Mexican spices and sugars on my dry rub with the exception of
> some semi-sweet Swedish mustard I get at the Ikea store in Tempe. Wet
> mustard slathered on and left to get dry and tacky seems to be the best
> binder for rubs and keeps the meat juicy and tasty. It may stop some of
> the salt of the rubs from drying out the meat so I never smoke pork
> (even ribs) without it now.

The red adobada is used primarily layered in the upside down pyramid with
flame on one side and the meat sliced as it is cooked to fill tacos. One of
the best ways to enjoy a taco! Pork is normally not used as a steak nor
cooked like carne asada. Pork is usually overcooked for obvious reasons.