Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Gunner[_4_] Gunner[_4_] is offline

Default marinate for Carne Asada

"Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
> Gunner wrote:
>> "huck" > wrote in message

> Red sauce? Carne Asada? Red sauce is a traditional Adobada marinade. Most
> Asada marinades that I have seen and used with citrus, chili, onion, salt
> and spices. If you have a traditional Mexican grocery nearby look for some
> packaged carne asada spice mixes, add water and slices of oranges, onion
> and some fresh chilies.

Yes Dude I know, a lot of Border recipes use a "London Broil" style
marinade ( oil, spices and some form of acetic or citric acid) in their
form of Asada using a plate cut ( flank, skirt or brisket cut) especially
for the many and varied Fajita style dinner these days. My druthers in
this style cut are similar. I like my skirt steak butterflied and
marinated with a Serrano, garlic,lime, parsley or cilantro, with S&P sauce,
served quick grilled with a Chimichurri sauce on the side.

However, for a grilled steak( Quick and fast and also a Carne Asada) I
like it quick marinated in a red chile vinegar type (recipes below) as
opposed to using a BBQ style sauce grilled on . When I BBQ ( Slow and
Low) I use a dry rub, again with a Chile(s) base I like to marinade a
Chuck eye steak ( a nice cut from the chuck but closer to the Rib so you get
the Rib type steak for Chuck prices) and a flat iron steak. I first thought
these were marketing gimmicks but now I like them especially for the price.

Back to the Red topic, try:

Carne asada con chile guajillo:
http://www.pepperfool.com/recipes/me...rne_asada.html
http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=...ile%20guajillo
Rick Bayless has another in his books

BTW a good flavor combo: Chiles, cumin and orange on a Chicken or Fish
Asada.