Posted to rec.food.equipment
Cynthia P Cynthia P is offline

Default Vita Mix blender/juicer/grinder at Costco

http://www.vitamix.com/) I
> couldn't pull myself away from the demonstration, and I was literally
> amazed at how the machine made a fruit smoothie (just like Jamba
> Juice), a frozen ice cream mix of fruit, and some hot tortilla soup
> all in less than 10 minutes. I sampled each of the products and was
> amazed at how good they were. Then, when I learned that it can also
> grind wheat and other grains, I was almost sold on the product.

OK, I am the proud owner of a Vitamix Maxi-4000, the last stainless
steel version made... and it's been with me for gotta be close to 20
years. Other than that the plastic Action Dome is developing cracks,
it works fine, no problems. But then, it had a 7 year warranty on the
motor when I bought it, LOL! Anyway, there's only one choice of blade
on my model and it does both wet and dry.

I have used it in the past to grind wheat berries into wheat flour. It
did this just fine. However, it *does* heat up the flour somewhat,
which may not be entirely desireable. I didn't have a problem with it.

As I've married since I bought my Vitamix and hubby is diabetic... I
don't do the wheat grinding thing so much anymore. I still DO
regularly use the Vitamix to grind flax seeds into meal. Just did a
batch the other day.

In the past, I tried the ice cream thing and it works, but I'm not
that big of an ice cream person, so never really did that more than a
couple times. Chopping veggies... I didn't care for that done in the
Vitamixer. Use a knife or food processor. Making soup... I think I did
that once or twice, but really prefer to make a large pot of soup on
the stove. Tried making bread dough in it once... didn't care for it
for that purpose, my bread machine does it better.

I do remember it made a SUPER fresh applesauce when my landlady had an
apple tree. Never tasted anything like it before! May have partly been
the fresh grown apples though.

I use my Vitamixer constantly for shakes and smoothies, which it does
a ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL job on! Last night, after a hard weight
workout, I popped an apple (cored, but NOT peeled) in, some plain
yogurt, some cottage cheese, some rolled oats, flax meal, almonds,
protein powder, greens plus vitamins, cinnamon and ice in last night
for a delicious shake.

Anyway, if you want a blender that lasts... they do! And are easy to
clean.

If the cost is bugging you, you could probably pick up an older model
like the 4000 on eBay for $150-250. I know if mine ever goes, I'll
probably be trying to replace it, with either a new one or another old
steel one.

Cynthia