Lew

Default Ceramic (glass) cooktops--Which pots can be used?

pltrgyst > wrote in message >. ..
> On 18 May 2004 06:36:42 -0700, (Lew) wrote:
>
> >Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and experience on glass
> >cooktops. They look really great, but they seem to have quite a few
> >more problems and precautions than do the (ugly old) bare coil
> >elements, and, especially, gas. It seems that we could adjust our
> >cooking procedures to the glass cooktop, but I'm calling a plumber to
> >find out how much a gas supply line to the kitchen will cost. (We have
> >natural gas heat and hot water.)

> The look is a minor consideration comapared to the smoothtop's performance
> advantages. There is no need to adapt your cooking procedures if you're coming
> from electric cooktops, except to adjust for quicker response when you change
> the heat setting.
>
> And you may find, as some of us have, that despite its still quicker response,
> gas is a disappointment, and is not worthwhile. We had the opportunity to have
> gas run in last year as part of a group in our townhouses, and declined.
>
> -- Larry

My plumber looked over our kitchen situation yesterday, and even
though the distance from the gas line to the kitchen (above) is only
about 15 feet, his estimate to install gas is $700-900. This includes
getting several permits and inspections. I'll admit the the
installation is a bit tricky since there is no direct access via
straight pipe, and a flexible pipe has to be "snaked" and secured
above a false ceiling. But at that cost I can even replace a damaged
cooktop a couple of times ;-).

So, we'll have the adventure of trying the handsome glass cooktop!

Lew