Peter Aitken

Default Thermador RDDS30VRS oven died

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Ken Greenebaum" > wrote in message
> om...
> > My Thermador Dual Fuel RDDS30VRS Range/Oven died. Actually only the
> > oven controller isn't functioning, the rangetop, and oven light work
> > as expected.
> >
> > Any ideas? Anyone have the service manual? Wonder what the
> > controller costs for this device? It certainly was expensive enough
> > new. I don' even know how to disassemble this unit...
> >
> > Symptoms:
> > - No display at all including time
> > - Pressing bake, convection, etc. makes a click as if a relay was
> > thrown then even if the temp was set by hitting + the a 2nd click is
> > heard and nothing happens
> > - The device is definitely getting power...
> >
> > Please send any ideas to

> It sounds like the controller board got zapped. The controller board in

my
> JennAir Dual Fuel range died last year. I bought a new board from

www.repairclinic.com and switched it out myself. They have a 30 day
return
> policy and will take back electronic parts, so if you decide to change the
> board and the problem isn't solved, they will take back the part. My oven
> had two likely problems: the main controller board or the clock/display
> board, so I asked about the return policy before buying the part. The
> biggest issue in changing out the board was keeping track of the couple of
> dozen wires that were connected to it. Many were part of wring harnesses
> and had indexed plugs, but there where other wires (many the same color)
> that were attached to screw terminals. I made a diagram and took several
> pictures with my digital camera before removing any wires. It all went

very
> smoothly except that I forgot to reattach the wire for the oven door motor
> and when I tried to run the cleaning cycle it wouldn't latch the door and
> the cycle would cancel without giving any error code. After checking the
> board, I found the wire and attached it to its terminal.

Story on the local news about someone who bought a $6000 thermador range and
the oven broke down 6 or 8 times in the first 6 months. She finally got it
replaced and the new unit was broken on installation! She had to get the
local news' "troubleshooter" person to help her get a refund.

Sounds like a brand to stay away from.

--
Peter Aitken