Posted to rec.food.baking
graham[_1_] graham[_1_] is offline

Default Why has my bread stopped rising?

"anthony" > wrote in message
ups.com...

>> Some people bake from cold but I've never had good results with that
>> method.
>> Cheers
>> Graham

> Thanks for your check-recipe, Graham
> I used it with just the plain unbleached hard bread flour and that
> simultaneously cleared the oven, yeast and flour of being at fault.
> Only one culprit left -- the bag of multi-grain flour which must have
> come from a dud (or protein-reduced) batch as I'm now sure it was that
> which was wrecking my efforts.
> Best wishes and thanks again .. your recipe produced totally delicious
> bread! I handmixed it but next time I'll try doing the first mixing
> stage in my daughter's bread machine before transferring to the baking
> tin and then to oven after the second rise.
> Cheers

I'm glad it worked out! Now if only there was a recipe for calorie-free
bread....
You should check alt.bread.recipes from tme to time as well. There's a
great bunch of bread-bakers who post there.
By the way, I generally sieve my whole-wheat flour with a fine kitchen sieve
to remove the coarser bran particles. It is thought that they pierce the
gas bubbles in the dough so that you end up with a denser bread. If I want
to make a multigrain loaf, I usually make a normal bread dough and throw in
flax and sunflower seeds. I can't stand the millet seeds they put in
multigrain mixes.
Graham